Saturday, March 10, 2012

Splash Segments, Rearranged

After looking at the picture of the 12, 8 by 8 inch, parts of this painting titled Splash (see below in the previous blog) I wanted to see if 4 or 6 or even 2 parts of the piece would have a complete composition that could stand on it's own. This is easy to do on a computer. Here, just 6 of the panels.














Four of the 8 by 8's rotated to the right.









.






Kept in the upright position (not rotated) here is the result of 6 parts in a horizontal position ...........not sure I like this arrangement.







Years ago, before computers, when I was creating manipulated fabric with machine embroidery art works I wanted to have this rotating and rearranging ability with units in a wall hanging. This one from the 90's is titled Shikaku which means four square.
At that time all I could do was hang the four pieces in different arrangements and then photograph them. These four pieces could have been rotated individually four ways but I had just two photos taken of them. I am still fascinated with the idea of arranging, rearranging, and rotating units of one art work to have a completely different appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment