Friday, May 18, 2018

Heavenly Bodies at the Metropolitan Museum, NY

My trip to NY as always was full of art in the several museums we visited.
The exhibit HEAVENLY BODIES: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination
was so large and so beautiful plus,
shown in 3 places, it took up much of our time in NY.
This exhibit features the work of designers whose imaginations 
were shaped and developed from their Catholic backgrounds. 
I tried to catch the reference of the fashion in these 
Medieval art galleries and occasionally did.
 The designers imaginations seemed to have been influenced 
by religious artworks in the Met collections as well as 
fashions in the 20th and 21st centuries.
 We were viewing this show on the first public day 
it was open so you know how very crowded it was.
There was so much that was beautiful but because 
of the crowds, I and the camera missed a lot.
Above a wedding gown with wings.
 I took many pictures and read a lot about each work but did 
not write anything down so it is hard to remember each designer.
And high above our heads there was so much. 
I was sorry I cut off her head as 
that head piece was halo-like, glittery and beautiful
 There is no way for the camera to pick up the glitter, 
precious stones, gold embroidery, and sparkle everywhere.
 These fashions were high above our heads and 
lined up in several hallways in 
the Byzantine and medieval galleries.
 All glitter and embroidery.
 Seeing one hallway from the model's backs.
 Alexander McQueen in the 70's used paper for this outfit
 His winged outfit from the back. Note the bell bottoms.
 Some of the fashions were wearable
yet easy to see the influence.
 Another outstanding wedding dress.
 From the back you can see this pieces was entirely gold embroidery.
Sometimes my images were blurred and 
I have had to cut out a lot of what I took so no front of this, sorry.
 Another winged wedding dress. 
Many of these head pieces were gold and 
like jewels or jewelry and always sparkling.
 Dior with rose taffeta-like satin, probably silk.
Dior had a similar one in red silk velvet at the Cloisters.
So many trains, too. 
 Gold and more jewel-like glitter and embroidery?
 I don't have enough superlatives.
These crowns held sculptural scenes in gold.
 A leather jacket we all would wear with gorgeous beaded embroidery
 I did not date everything but some were suggestive 
of the hippy years, 60's and 70's.
 As I left the upstairs galleries I had to add this connection.
 Downstairs in the Anna Winter Costume center I was blown away 
by 4 garments is glass cases. 
They appear to be painted but reading the information 
it said all were embroidered. I believed the gold border was, 
but the center section I knew was painted. 
So getting out my glasses and kneeling down in front 
of the case so I was about 4 inches away 
I could see satin stitched silk thread....incredible.
So I took a quick picture, planning to take all 
four of these as we were allowed to take pictures of anything. 
Quickly a guard stopped me after these two.
These pieces were from a private collection and no photos allowed.
So I stopped there as that was a days viewing and so much to absorb.
The next day we went to the Cloisters to see 
the continuation of this exhibit.
I will add those pictures on my next blog. 
To be continued.......

No comments:

Post a Comment