Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Silver Line with Artistic License

While the new Silver Line metro was being constructed I drove 
through the area several times occasionally taking pictures.
These 4 represent my taking liberty with color and design 
of a couple of the resulting stations.
 Each of the panels above are 8 inches square.
 Toward the end of the lengthy construction.
 And, during the lengthy construction.
 Inside one station.
 My embroidered interpretation of one station.
(Free-motion machine embroidery on canvas over cradled boards)
 I thought even though the stations were well designed, 
color should be added.
 The light does change the color on some stations,
or I am imagining it does.
Inside one station.
I have yet to ride the new Metro Line to check
on how I have been taking liberties with the designs.
Possibly many passengers would take umbrage 
with what I have abstracted from the Silver Line.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hubcap Art, Landfillart

In early July I was invited to participate in the Landfill art project.

 All the artwork in this project begins with a hubcap.
A hubcap was sent to me to begin.
 My husband, Clark, sanded it to give it a slight texture.
Friends told me to use an adhesive E6000 as it would hold anything to metal.
 After deciding I was going to use embroidered leaves from all seasons 
I started creating the leaves on the sewing machine.
 Using thread and pictures and actual leaves as subjects
it took a while to create enough leaves.
 I discovered that E6000 would not adhere thread to thread or to fabric 
so had to pull out good old white glue to complete the top layers.
 I began attaching the leaves but had to hold them in place a 
for a few minutes or they slid off. Then had to wait at least 8 hours 
for each group to stay in place before adding layers. 
 The leaves were being arranged color-wise into seasons, sort of.
 The final arrangement is titled SEASONAL LYRICISM. 
One friend described it as an Autumn bride's bouquet.
This detail shows the thread and stitches. The total length is 24 inches. 
It is 17 inches wide with a depth of 6 inches at the center.
Many many examples of these hubcap art works can be seen at
The first showing of 287 pieces (not this one) of hubcap art 
will be at the Museum of Shenandoah Valley opening September 7, 2014.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Clark Golden Adams II, A Tribute

I am writing my blog today with a few really old photos,
 about a man who influenced so many and leaves a big hole in our lives
Clark Adams during college days,
University of Utah and Georgetown University
 Clark's christening with Mom and Dad, 1953
 Cousins, Kathy and Julie, with Vicky and Clark, 1956
 Clark at his birthday party in Hawthorne, CA
Neighbors, Danny and Jeff with Clark.
 If he was here he would tell me the dates of all these pictures 
as he knew every important and unimportant date
in our lives and in history.
 Clark and Vicky
 Clark in the first grade
 Photo from an article in the Christian Science Monitor
about Four Families in a Changing World.
Vicky, Clark, Sr., BJ, and Clark, Jr.
 Grandma Newcomb, BJ, and Clark in Grand Coulee, WA.
 Clark and Vicky first Cotillion.
 Vicky and Clark, second Cotillion
 Skiing with the Dunns, Alpine Meadows (Tahoe, CA)
Ann, BJ, Vicky, Clark, Chris
 Clark clowning around with Mom and Florian.
Senior year of high school.
 Rolling Hills High School graduation, PV, CA
 College years, Clark and BJ in DC
 Moving back to California after college he met Jill.
 The two Clarks
 BJ and Clark with baby Ashley
 And with baby Lindsey
 And baby Hayley
 Jill with Ashley and Clark with Lindsey in Torrance, CA
 Clark with his three daughters at Vicky and Alan's home.
Spencer trying to get back inside.
 Clark and Lindsey.
 Skiing in Colorado, Clark, Sr., Clark, Jr., and Lindsey
 Clark and Lindsey at lunch during the work day.
 His family, Clark and Jill with Ashley, Hayley and Lindsey.
Brandon and Lindsey at their wedding. 
 On the right Clark and Jill at 
Hayley and Brant's wedding, December 2012
 Clark's three daughters,
Lindsey, Hayley and Ashley at Hayley's wedding reception
December 2012
Our family, 1970's (Vicky, Clark Jr, BJ, Clark Sr.)
We all will miss him so much, his humor, memory, 
inquisitive love of so many things,
too numerous to write about.

Many friends and relatives who loved him and he influenced
 have been left out of these pictures as 
this is a very short view of his life.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Updating my web site: www.BJAdamsArt.com

The last couple of days I/we have been updating my web site. 
That is Jeanne Williamson, my web master(tress), has been 
doing all the technical work along with some suggestions. 
I have been watching, checking, and seeing the changes as they develop.
The web site needed a major overhaul. 
Colors to me, seem to always make the biggest impact.
It is amazing to see how my work changes as the background 
went from black to light blue. 
I know the relation of one color to a neighboring color 
and then add extreme contrast and I was surprised to see the result.
 Besides adding new color, Jeanne added some different work.
This piece, EARLY SKETCH is 9 by 12 inches. 
Free-motion machine embroidery on a commercial fabric. 
Jeanne made a detail for the web site
 to show the stitches but you will have to pull the web site up to see it.
The design came from a black and white drawing 
I had sketched when I was about 16  years old.
 This piece titled RELAXED TRIPTYCH is 28 by 30 inches.
The embroidery is entirely zig zag stitching on canvas.
The designs were taken from 3 small oil paintings from my 30's 
before I moved into acrylics.
There were several other new pieces added to the web site.
The home page shows a detail of a piece and there is now a 
GALLERY page where you will find all the information about my various series.
This was quite a lengthy adventure and may need a bit of tweaking 
 but for the near future it will stay till new work is added.