Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Desert Wild Flowers, 8 by 8

Time flies when you are having fun or busy with embroidery. The 8 desert wild flowers have taken the last couple of months to turn into 8 by 8 inch embroiderd quilts. These have not yet been photographed to show as a group but I took a few pictures of individual ones to see the problems that may have developed.
Therefore, these three have not had a professional photograph, yet, but are being added to the blog before leaving for California.

These fuzzy 1/2 to 1 1/2 inch Pussy Paws consists of many tiny flowers, each having 4 petals. They grow in groups with long extending bright pink stems.



These cupped bright yellow flowers are Tansy Leaf Sun-Cup and can be 1 to 2 inches across.

All these wild flowers have been embroidered free-motion on the sewing machine and the images taken from pictures I took while on a bird watching tour in the high desert of the Eastern Sierra Mountains in both Nevada and California.











This last wild flower is Torrey's Monkey Flower.
I hope some desert wild flower expert will let me know if I have the names of each flower correctly written. I referenced the names from my book; Wildflowers of the Eastern Sierra by Laird R. Blackwell. It was difficut at times to connect my photographs with the photos and names in the book.

My book states that these Monkey Flowers are moderately large, 1/2 inch across. Many of the wild flowers are so tiny I needed an expert who was with us to help me see them all. The desert seems to hide so many beautiful wild flowers and it was a privelege to have someone point them out as we explored during this trip.

1 comment:

  1. These are the most beautiful pictures. We are really blessed with such a beautiful country. We honor the Great Creator for it!

    ReplyDelete