Saturday, September 1, 2012

Tyvek as an art medium

This blog continues my last one, wondering when an art work is finished. I found several quotations in Robert Genn's Art Quotations and thought it wise to listen to some experts.
"The painting is finished before the artist thinks it is" Harley Brown
"One never notices what has been done: one can only see what remains to be done." Marie Curie
"One always has to spoil a picture a little bit in order to finish it". Eugene Delacroix
and then I read this quotation:
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow." Ralph Waldo Emerson.
The white artwork above kind of fits all these quotable thoughts. I started this very large piece over a year ago. It is now titled: SEISMIC SHIFTS and that fits the whole theme I'm writing about.
It is 50 inches high by 90 inches wide and was completed in 3 panels. The left 2 panels were started when I wanted to work in alternate materials (Tyvek) last year. Then I stopped as I was unhappy with the results. It really needed something, paint thrown on it (and that still may happen), a streak of red, something. But I decided to add to it instead and came up with the gridded right panel this year. Arranging and rearranging the 3 panels to choose the right configuration took a while. So choosing this arrangement I have stopped once again. How many artists are never satisfied? I am still at that point.
This detail shows the shadows developed by the cut and sewn Tyvek textures and that may be one reason to leave it white. (for now?)

No comments:

Post a Comment