Wanting to make a change in my work,
if not style, then in the method of working with fabric and thread.
Looking at my sketch books I had always made quick realistic
sketches of flowers, before embroidering them.
These cone flowers were in a pot as I drew them.
Looking at all sides of some zinnias on this page.
But I wanted to change........
I started putting down ideas for non-realistic flowers in a sketch book.
Starting with bright colors and fabrics I began creating these stylized flowers.
Since I have always loved the Dutch and Flemish still-lifes
I planned to create my own non-realistic version of a classic.
Several insects had to be included.
And branches with leaves. Leaves are sewn through
the center vein so may stand out from the dark background.
I broke with my non-realistic idea when it came to the vase
and embroidered an image of a vase that I own.
I did not add shadows, though, so it is flat.
The vase needed to sit on something besides a table
so, I stacked some books and worked out fictitious titles for them.
My still-life needed a plate and a bowl to add
some balance to the whole composition.
The result is titled Satirical Stillness.
It is approximately 44 by 54 inches.
The falling leaves can be changed in positions.
I doubt my friends will think I succeeded in creating
a non-realistic image, but I was trying.
Probably this idea will not become a series.